Update by user Jun 13, 2012

So no word from Spirit\'s customer service department (big surprise) following my certified letter to them, so it\'s on to small claims!

Original review posted by user May 13, 2012

Spirit's company policy is to RIP YOU OFF!

I recently needed to pay for my fiancee's trip to Las Vegas. Her friends were all flying Spirit so I signed her up for an account online so I could book her flight.

I was happily typing away and mistakenly filled in MY last name instead of hers. A minor mistake I thought. I'll put in her legal name when I fill in the passenger name... Nope.

Doesn't work that way. You can't change it. You can't set up another account with the same email address. In fact, I didn't realize that the passenger name didn't work until I printed out her boarding passes a week later!

The online reservations account had accepted her legal name, but only in the "contact details". So when I discovered the error I called Spirit. I was told calmly that the name could not be changed and that the person who had to fly must have my fiancee's first name and MY last name!! Of course, I said that something needed to be done because my fiancee needed to get to Las Vegas.

I was told, no. It is "against company policy" to change the name on a ticket. The nonsense came when the solution offered was to cancel the original reservation but not to apply that refund to the new ticket - but issue a credit (which must be used within 60 days) to a person with the first name of my fiancee and whose second name matches mine! A person, by the way, who SHARES OUR ADDRESS!

The company is inflexible and staffed by miserable people who don't want to find solutions to real world problems. I am going to take them to court for repayment of the additional ticket I had to purchase to get her to Vegas on time!

Review about: Spirit Airlines Flight.

Comments

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, United States #772456

I attempted to reschedule a flight with Spirit on 1/6/2014, originally purchased for 1/9/2014 due to unexpected changes in my plans. Spirit's cancellation/re-booking fee exceeded the cost of the original ticket, and then they charged me twice as much as the original ticket to fly home early. Spirit is a heart-less, uncaring, inflexible airline, which should be avoided if at all possible.