1.5
Additional Fees
Level of Comfort

I've flown with Spirit Airlines many times during the last several months, and on no single occasion did I encounter the complete breach of trust, confidence and lack of professionalism than I did today (8/24/15). After purchasing a ticket and confirming my seat, at least a few weeks prior to my flight, I arrived at the airport to complete one part of my travels (DTW-IAH, Flight 939). I chose the early flight to IAH as I was scheduled to assist my daughter with moving into campus housing for her freshman year at college... Hotel & Rental cars confirmed for my arrival in IAH. The evening prior to the flight I received a call and Voice Message from Spirit Airlines (+1 800-937-8997, Call Back +1 801-401-2222) indicating that the scheduled plane was being downsized and that they were seeking volunteers to offer their seats in exchange for an updated flight and a roundtrip ticket to any supported destination. As I was a bit concerned that they would revise my itinerary without my permission I contacted them to confirm that I wanted to keep my scheduled flight... Speaking w/Christina. The Rep assured me that no change would be made to my reservation.

I arrived at DTW, completed Check-In (Single Bag) and cleared security. Upon arriving at the gate (D12), forty (40) minutes prior to the departure time of 8:18 AM EST, I waited next to the Gate Desk to provide staff with my boarding pass (Confirmed Seat). After several minutes Gate Agents began to call the names of several passengers, informing them that they could board. When I informed the Gate Agent that I was prepared to board, she accepted my Boarding Pass, placed it beneath a stack of other Boarding Passes and walked away. I again waited for a few minutes, then asked if I could board the aircraft, to which the Gate Agent responded by indicating that my Check-In Number was ###. It was at this point that I asked her to explain what that means and she stated that passengers were being confirmed for travel based on the order that they Checked-In (arrived at the Gate), without regard to Confirmed Ticket Purchase/Seat Confirmation because the aircraft had been downsized.... Information that no passenger was provided throughout the entire Check-In Process.

While I don't take issue with the fact that flights are often altered, downsized, cancelled etc.... I do take issue with the fact that Spirit Airlines accepted payment for the flight, premium seat and took possession of my luggage, then violated our agreement by giving my seat to another passenger without my consent and refusing to allow me to board, even though I followed every single step in the process that they outlined. Spirit Airlines employees (Gate Agents) explicitly stated that they have the right to accept payment for services, establish related conditions of that service, and violate those conditions without notice and any responsibility for any direct or indirect negative impact. Further, Spirit Airlines Gate Agents advised that it is purely at the discretion of the airline to compensate those persons, with whom they've established a service agreement, with whatever is simply convenient to the organization.

The intent of this review is to not merely voice a concern about the service provided, the failed professionalism of employees or the explicit violation of a contractual agreement with Spirit Airlines (Force Majeurer isn't relevant), but to highlight and encourage both social and legal action against the airlines, as the varied complaints via social media and press don't appear to be enough to illicit the proper response from this organization... In short, any significant, direct or indirect financial impact against the company appears to be the only way to convince leadership that they have a responsibility to anyone who entrust them with their hard-earned money.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person stated that there is a room for improvement of horrible customer service and give flight credit to someone else. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of spirit airlines flight. Spirit Airlines needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned spirit airlines flight in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Spirit Airlines.

Comments

I would research the issue of whether you were entitled to payment for denied boarding. The department of transportation oversees such things and I would contact them about your rights.