About one year ago, I joined the Spirit "Free" Frequent Flyer Program to get a good fare on a trip from Boston to Atlantic City. What was not stated except in the 'fine' print was that this program came with an annual $59.95 fee which the consumer had to cancel prior to the anniversary or suffer an automatic charge to thier credit card on file. The 'Free' is an oxymoron and the program is a scam.

It took me a month after contacting my credit card company as to what the charge was for.....not clear, and my credit card company stated what Spirit did not.

Has anyone tried to find Spirit Airlines' telephone number or address, or that of the Frequent Flyer Program? That was a 30 minute search on the Internet because Spirit's website likes to remain anonymous.

I called Spirit, and was on hold for no less than 3 hours. Once, I was disconnected. I spoke to five representatives from the outsourcing industry....India, I believe who will never fly on Spirit...but that is of little importance. There was Sarah, Olla, Janson, Edison, and finally, the supervisor, Jessie.

All had the same response, "it was written in the agreement and you had to call prior to the anniversary to cancel your membership and not be charged." Public relations is not part of the Spirit Scam....of course frequent flyer programs have annual fees....right?

So, I sent a complaint to the Consumer Affairs Department of Massachusetts and the Federal Bureau of Consumer Protection. I am not sure it will do anything good other than satisfy my frustration, and possibly place another negative check next to the Spirit Airlines Corporation. But it does make me wonder why there are so many people in this country who feel corporations of over-regulated and deserve tax breaks for out-sourcing.

Product or Service Mentioned: Spirit Airlines Membership.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 09, 2012.

Comments

Golden, Colorado, United States #708903

I traveled on Spirit every month for a year and flew a total of 25k miles ( which only gives me 12k miles). Because I will not apply and accept their MasterCard, they are expiring my mileage after three months of not flying with Spirit.

Well, they are making sure I will not fly with them again! It baffles me on how dumb management can be of start up airlines.

Expire my miles after not flying for three months? Come on!

Spirit caused me to miss my cruise ship today, along with other people who were to board Carnival Valor, two of which were celebrating their 45th wedding anniversary! Plane 6 hours late out of Myrtle Beach to FLL.

No reasons given as to what was wrong.

Never will book them again!

This is the first time I booked a flight same day as cruise, but with an 8 a.m. departure time I had plenty of time IF they were late...but 6 hours...come on!