1.1K views

Do not apply for Spirit Airlines credit cards. I applied on line, never got a card, called up, they said they would take care of it, waited months, finally got credit card, used it one time, never got a statement, called the customer service (Barclays),

then waited, due date past, but no statement, finally the duplicate statement arrived in the mail, already a week after the due date.

They purposely sent me the statement late so they could charge a $30 late fee and $2.00 interest. I called up again and explained I did not get a statement, rep said he could not *** the charges, a week later, I called to cancel, rep took off the late fee, but Barclays had added a $69 annual fee (to my surprise). Rep would not take it off, so I persisted. Finally rep turned the phone over to a supervisor, who cancelled the card and removed all the fees.

Now I owe them nothing and will never deal with this airline type credit cards again. Whew.

Glad that scam is over!!

Comments

I applied for spirit after the attendant tapped abut the scheme and 15000 miles. When the card arrived we knu received 5000 miles.

And won't be able to book it till six months later.

Total RIPOFF. DO NOT TAKE THIS CARD

to Ripoff Miami, Florida, United States #654054

$36 flight costs 10,000 miles + $77.10 if I use my miles….WHAT??

On a Spirit flight 8 months ago I was told if I applied for a Spirit Mastercard I would get 15,000 free miles - "Enough for 3 round-trip flights anywhere", plus another 2,500 miles for turning in my application during the flight. After making sure I used my card every month to keep from losing the miles (I was saving them to use this summer), I needed to take a flight from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. The 7:40 AM flight was offered for $36.00 (Southwest flights at more desirable times cost $78). "Hey, I can get a free flight and hardly use any miles", I thought. Yeah…. Riiight. When I clicked on 'Book with FREE Spirit miles' it came up at 10,000 miles + $77.10. So for an extra $41.10, they’re willing to take away 10,000 of my miles? Unbelievable! The Saturday flight - usually $49.00 - was offered for 25,000 miles + $102.50.

As an infuriating prelude it took me over three hours (NOT an exaggeration) to get hold of a human being just to combine my miles onto one account - they issued the credit card miles with a separate Free Spirit number. Spirit wants you to do everything online but have no online option for merging miles (or for solving other simple problems), and all their phone numbers tell you to go online or ask for flight numbers, etc, with NO option to speak to a human and hanging up on you after you waste your time listening to multiple options/messages that don't apply to your problem. No online help or chat, either. Gethuman.com said call 801-401-2220 and press 0, then 2, 5, 7, and 3 (took 3 tries but it worked). After 19 minutes on hold I finally got a reservations 'specialist' who told me I had to call the Free Spirit Center at 801-401-2210 and press option 7, then 3, 3 again, enter my phone number, then select ‘Change Name’ or ‘Update Contact Info’. I had already gone through all these options on my own 2 or 3 times and then the system hung up on me so he offered to hook me directly to a human but when the phone picked up it was the same option menu! I can't remember ever being so mad, but being a masochist I pressed on. After hold times of 13 and 17 minutes my third 'specialist', named AL (had to ask him 3 times because of the thick accent) actually connected me to another human (also named AL - what are the odds?) who solved my problem! AND he gave me a phone number for the future guaranteed - he insisted repeatedly - to be answered by a human. You guessed it. 801-401-2220. He didn't have much of a personality, so maybe it sounds human to him.

And what's with the 801 phone numbers? All the 800 numbers have recordings giving you an 801 number (801-401-2200, 801-401-2210, 801-401-2220, etc.) "To give you more options and serve you better". I thought maybe it's a new toll-free exchange, like 866, but turns out it's an area code in Utah - which makes sense since Spirit is based in Miramar, Florida and the call center is in India. After 18 calls and over an hour of hold time total just to solve my simple problem, I can venture a guess that Spirit has discovered a new source of revenue in the form of a cut from the phone company.

Until today I actually liked Spirit because they had low fares and were upfront about added costs.

Do not apply Spirit Air Credit card. This is totally a SCAM.

I applied the credit card in Feb 2012 for 15000 miles bonus. I received the card and 15000 miles in my account. The problem is I couldn't book the reward ticket for even 5 months ahead. The customer service said to me, all seats are booked.

Totally a SCAM.... I won't fly with them anymore.

#420212

DO NOT APPLY for any credit card with Spirit Airlines. They said I would get miles for 3 round trip tickets anywhere they fly.

Then a couple of weeks later I received a letter stating that they could not approve the application since they were no longer having that promotion.

This is something that they HAWKED during the ENTIRE flight from New York to Miami on 01/02/12!!!! BIG SCAM

Sounds like with all the comments to this post, this Barclays and Spirit was founded solely to be a scam and never intended to be a legitimate credit card company. They really suck and we should all get the word out and put these suckers out of business.

Same type of stories, the card was horrible. They switched me to BARCLAY CARDS, I lost all my points. Never got a free flight anywhere, feel outraged they were allowed to treat us all this way!!!!!

I'm not sure what all of you are talking about Spirit Airlines World & Platinum Plus MasterCards are Managed and Issues by BANK OF AMERIA. I haven't had any issues with my card to date.

I can say that Barclays SUCKS I have a card from Virgin America and the service is horrible!!!!

been trying to find those 15,000 miles for 3 years. now they have sold the spiritcard to another company juniper and wiped out all the miles i had gathered (close to 15,000) of course i am canceling the card but how do you stay calm on the plane when they have the flight attendants hawking that SCAM???

:( I applied for the spirit credit card back in August of 2011. I received a coupon with 5,000 miles and the statement that it will be valid for one round trip, whether credit card was approved or not.

I never heard anything back from the credit card company, which makes me questioning what they are doing with someones personal information??? I tried to redeem my miles for a trip when I spoke to a indian rep which told me that my miles are not enough to book a flight and that I needed to be a credit card holder in order to redeem them. She was quick to offer to transfer me to apply for the credit card! NO!!!

I want to speak to a supervisor, hoping I could speak to someone in the U.S. Unfortunately that was not the case. The supervisor confirmed what the rep said. Not enough miles.

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT and SCAM. Better business bureau will be contacted!!

I am canceling my cards tomorrow morning. I have 47,000 miles on two cards.

Today I tried to use my miles to book a flight 6 months and one week from now, April 2012 and some *** in India, whom I cannot understand what he is saying, is telling me there are no flights available for the whole month of April, nor March nor May.

Spirit is the worst airline I ever dealt with. Never again!

I agree. I got the 15,000 miles and was never able to use it.

I wasn't even allowed to "jump the line" at Atlantic City airport. The lady yelled at me "get to the back of the line, they stopped the jump the line program".

(Jump the line was the main reason I got the card. I mistakenly thought the 15000 miles would be a nice bonus, but I was never able to use them.

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

I got the spirit credit card with the promise of getting 3 free trips, when I call about they gave me excuses that I have only 3000 miles enough for part of a trip which has to be done on specific dates.

They are a scam all of us should get a lawyer as sue them

asbaker

pissedconsumer.comOur flight attendants yesterday were pushing the new Spirit Mastercard which is from Bank of America where they will transfer over your miles and give you extra miles. The contract with Barclay ends in about 11 months or less. What they did not tell everyone and what is not mentioned in any advertisements is that THE NEW CARD DOES NOT INCLUDE MEMBERSHIP IN THE $9 CLUB, WHICH IS AN EXTRA $59.95, an increase from the old $39.95.

This is a rip-off and bordering on fraud when they push a new card and do not tell you that it lacks something you had with the old card. After a free year, the card we have costs $69 a year. The attendant said we can downgrade to a $19 card, which we must check into first, that will make up for paying for the club.

So spread the word that the new mastercard does not include the $9 club as the old one does!!!

Katie, If you don't go over your limit, guess what, NO OVER LIMIT FEE, imagine that! you deserved the fee.

I have this card and got all the things promised. Some people don't read their terms.When they issue you a credit card it gives you a new Spirit(the number is on your card). Your points are linked to that account.

Customer service is sometimes difficult to deal with but that is the same with any credit card company because calls are being answered outside of the US. I got everything that I was promised.

Our experience also resonates with all of the above. In addition..we are now being charged an overlimit fee of $39.00 and an increase in APR from 18% to 30%.

Spirit/Barclay card APPROVED the transaction in the first place which was over limit by $24.00!

We thought the new credit card and banking laws would protect we consumers from these outrageous practices!

This card is so mis-represented. DO NOT GET IT.

As soon as I clear my current charges, I am cancelling it.

They basically lie to customers. The voucher I got for 5000 miles- NO GOOD. The 15,000 miles-- never credited to my account. The $9 fare club- Never was made a member as promised.

The credit card people route you to Spirit who routes you back to the credit card.They blame each other.It is a horrid mess, and you do not want on this merry-go-round.

Just get the best price you can to fly on whichever airline.

And Spirit misrepresents their prices as well-- what a joke. :(

THis is a scam. $39 dollars instead of a free first year, not onyx card, never had my 15000 points, the rep says it is not us call Spirip.

In the plane they gave us voushers, could never add this voucher to the account.

They have a huge taxes. The ticket oost $88 on the calender but it was over $300 at the end.

I was never given any of the benefits promissed for signing up for & using the card. (points and $9 fare club enrollment)

Every time I call the answer is: "I've entered this into our system and now you'll have to wait a month".

Don't waste your time with this credit card/airlines

ON the phone with barclay as im typing this. This Spirit card sucks.

They tell me i have a World card which im suppose to get 15,000 bonus miles but they only gave me 5,000 (which is for Platinum Members) I have yet to speak someone who speaks and understands english.

Worst card i have ever had. SCAMMERS